Sunday, August 11, 2013

Shading Metallic Gold


Welcome back! Just a quick-tip today about how to shade metallic gold successfully.

I love the NMM (non-metallic metal) effects, but I am not good at created them, so I enjoy creating the NMM with actual metallics and shades.

The wings, etc., are unfinished on this model, as this is a WIP and I am trying to use it to test this technique. 

Essentially, I laid down Vallejo Polyurethane Grey Primer, and then put down a base coat of VMA Mahogany. Following that, I put Vallejo Liquid Gold Alcohol-Based paint (Old Gold) everywhere, except for in the cracks/lines.

I did edge highlight a little by putting some VMC Silver and Brass, mixed 1:1 where it needed to be.

The fun part, however, was shading.  I used one large drop of Liquitex Glazing medium (I'd say it's around 10-15 "normal" drops worth), one drop of my water/flow-aid/retarder mix, and a size 3 brushload of the ink that I wanted to use to do the shading. The great part about this is that it can be painted on flat surfaces (and not move), or pooled-up. It's fast, clean and effective.

The down part (that I don't mind) is that you need to do successive layers. It's so subtle that you can barely make out that there is any color in the glaze, until the glaze dries.   I keep a hair-dryer (or, if I am taking a break, I put the mini in front of the air purifier I have in the room) handy to quickly dry things so that I can put down the next layer. All-in-all, it still only took around two hours to do the shading.

Leave comments when you can, and thanks for looking!









7 comments:

  1. Very nice. I used the same approach to do my Alpha legion mini in metallic blues and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally love MMs with a wash. It is a cool effect that takes little time and less talent. What you are doing here is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Scott: I'd do a wash for rank-and-file, for sure. I wanted to give the commander a little more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what an awesome in depth step by step tutorial. The finished mini is stunning, absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what an awesome in depth step by step tutorial. The finished mini is stunning, absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
    2. Shaun, can you hit me up on Gmail? I erased my Facebook, but now I don't have your address. m dot n dot gombos at gmail dot com

      Delete