Monday, August 11, 2014

Dark Eldar Commission for Scott - Maasai Red Scheme

Sorry for the truancy of this post; while I have been painting (I even attended a masterclass a while back), I simply haven't been updating, as I have been busy with work.

My friend, Scott, has an impressive amount of armies, most of which are painted and some that aren't. He enlisted me to paint his Dark Eldar in the Maasai tribal red, and we went over the palette together, allowing him to pick the colors that he thought most accurately reflected the reds.

(Above) The line-up!

Additionally, I thought that I'd use the Vallejo Airbrush Thinner instead of my normal, home-brewed thinning medium, just to see how it worked.

(Above) The thinner.

Following that was the most tedious part: The priming. This took a while to make sure I got all the angles, and I wanted to make sure that it had at least 24 hours to dry, being that it's a polyurethane primer.

(Above) All primed and ready.

Next, it was time to get some of the basic reds down; to show an example, you can see that the fighter has some highlights, but those were only created layering red on top of the black.

The following part entailed simply added another highlight of red, and then skin tone to the edges, and applying thing glazes of the brightest, richest red to really make things pronounced (below):

Below is the final product!

Thanks for your patience, and for reading.